The tradition of wedding cake has been in existence for a very long time and we all love to keep this tradition alive as long as possible. After all, who doesn’t love wedding cake? Right from children to grownups, everyone likes to have a slice of cake. But it is not easy to figure out which wedding cake to order and how much budget you should assign for the perfect wedding cake.
The Cost of a UK Wedding Cake
Various factors, such as the intricacy of the finished cake design, the complexity of cake flavour, and how many tiers you want, come into play when determining wedding cake prices. The more the tier, the harder it gets to decorate and transport; hence, the cost significantly increases as the number of tiers increases.
How much does the average wedding cake cost?
In the United Kingdom, the cost of average wedding cakes in 2019 was £290, according to the 2020 annual wedding report. However, if you are ordering a custom wedding cake for around 80 people, you might have to pay anywhere between £450 and £750. Most couples spend between £300 and £700 on their wedding cakes but prices can go even higher for speciality and bespoke cakes.
On the lower end, if you are having a small wedding with just a bunch of friends, you can even get your wedding cake at price as low as £20. However, in that case, you will have the cake with only 4 to 5 servings. If you are inviting around 40 to 50 guests, then you can expect to put around £220 aside for the wedding cake.
What are the factors that affect the cost of a wedding cake?
The prices of wedding cakes depend on a variety of factors, and some of these are as follows:
- Time (how much time it will take to prepare the particular wedding cake)
- Ingredients (in case you request exotic ingredients or a speciality cake like vegan cake or gluten-free cake)
- Flavour (for instance, a simple white cake with buttercream filling and frosting will be cheaper than a white cake with Bavarian cream, strawberry filling, and buttercream frosting)
- Size of the wedding cake and the number of tiers
- The intricacy of design, colours, and styles
- The type of frosting on the wedding cake
- Delivery fees
- Add-ons such as a cake stand
- Any customization in the wedding cake you request for
When deciding the precise budget for your wedding cake, first of all, you will need to determine exactly how many people you will be serving. If you are arranging a seated dinner with a dessert course and the wedding cake is the dessert you will serve, then it will drive up wedding cake prices quickly. However, if you are doing a whole dessert station, chances are that not everyone will have a slice of cake. In that case, you might need less cake.
When ordering cake online, you will choose the size of the wedding cake in inches. Here is the serving size breakdown for a classic round-tiered cake:
- 6-inch round — 4 – 6 servings
- 8-inch round — 8 – 12 servings
- 10-inch round — 12 – 20 servings
- 12-inch round — 20 – 30 servings
- 14-inch round — 30 – 40 servings
- 16-inch round — 40 – 50 servings
When ordering a wedding cake, remember that you don’t have to spend a fortune. All you need is a reliable online cake shop where you can explore stunning designs at affordable wedding cake prices.